Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Basic Concept of Ice Lantern Creation

The universe of ice lantern creation can be divided into two distinct techniques­—the Crust Method and the Freeze Solid Method. The Freeze Solid Method requires fussy containers and tape or weights and I will not be discussing it on my blog.

I prefer the Crust Method!

Even though the ice cannot be colored or capture flowers and some experimentation is helpful to master the process, the Crust Method relies on the magic of science to do the work. Thus, once the basics of timing is learned, one can easily create beautiful natural ice lanterns.

Here’s basically how it’s done . . . a form or mold is filled with water and put in freezing temperatures until an ice crust has formed, but not allowed to freeze solid. Imagine a tray of ice cubes taken out too soon. What do you find? Crusts of ice with water inside. Release the water and, voila, miniature ice lanterns. An ice lantern is the same thing, but on a much larger scale.

MORE INFORMATION TO COME . . .
In the posts to follow, I will be offering more information about making ice lanterns of all shapes, but especially Globe Ice Lanterns. If I have not posted the information you want or need, you want to make large globes and/or you bought a kit and need more information, please email me at jh@icelanterns.com or call me at 612.964.3023. I am happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment